Carbondale and Simpson Area
Pastoral Council Meeting Agenda
Tuesday, April 20, 2021 6:30 PM
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Center
present: Fr. Walsh; Michele Bannon; Eileen Auiar, Kathy Yaklic, Sr. Jane Connolly; Paul Clark; Michael Boris; Fr. Miller; Deacon Pat Massino; Rich Mroczka; Art Hanna; Bob Tomaine; Joe Carachilo
Absent: Tom Didato
- Opening Prayer and Reflection: Kathy
- House Keeping
Volunteer for bulletin announcement: Mark
May Prayer: Sr. Jane
III New Business / Old Business
Parish Council Membership (transition issues): Fr. Walsh - Proposal - Person leaving council nominate a replacement. Plus pool suggestions for diversity:
SR: Anthony Kuchmanich or Jacob; Nicole Rosar
OLMC: Marcy Clister Brown;
June meeting will be a transitional meeting
Deadline for nominations will be May 11
Rich and Joe are remaining members all others who are not “ex officio” will nominate
OLMC Feast Planning update: 3 meetings to date. Take out only proposed. Risks with costs. Grounds clean up. etc. Raffle $50 ticket, Golf Tournament June 19, Statue, food as take out June 1 is decision date on format. Modified version seems to be the current consensus. Two other meals, one in August, one in September.
OLMC Wall project update: Contractor delayed by rain with getting to the project. Money is in place.
St. Rose Restoration project update: Scaffolding going up presently. $3,000 short of the $850,000. Should be completed by July. Steps are almost completed. Minor additional repairs. Might need another $50,000 to blend the new work with the existing structure to repair the façade.
Religious Education update (Confirmation – Wednesday May 5 with Bishop Bambera; May Crowning – this year at SR May 8 Saturday 4:00; First Holy Communion 14 children Saturday 29 and Sunday May 30; End of Year review – meeting May 24, 6:00 to plan for next year, Teachers have been phenomenal this past year):
May 23 and 26 for next confirmation parents’ meeting.
July & August registration for next year’s classes. 3 plans in person, 3 foot distancing or 6 foot distancing depending on CDC guidelines. Talk of looking for donors for smart TV’s for the classrooms to use “formed” as desired or other video presentations.
Memorial Day Cemetery Mass: Will continue outdoors OMS cemetery. In front of chapel.
St. Rose "Back on Track" Raffle Tickets: to help with deficit in budget. $700 mailing expense. 2 - $25 dollar tickets per family. Livestreamed drawing at the train station.
Grotto clean-up project: was cleaned up by Shade Tree Commission. No cost to the parish. Beautifully done.
New Cemetery Supervisor: Brad Saul to replace the late Rich Whitelavich who died from covid. Summer help will be added in addition to regular staff.
Feedback on new "Formed" media initiative: positive feedback. Similar to Netflix in format. Will continue to promote.
- Pastor Discussion: Next meeting discuss Article by John Allen “A Virus Leaves Its Mark”
VII. Closing Prayer 3 Minutes
NEXT MEETING: May 18, 2021, Our Lady of Mount Carmel
March 2021 Minutes:
Old Business 50 Minutes
- Parish Council Membership review: We discussed the members who have expiring terms. Currently Joe C. and Rich M. are the sole members not termed off. Father Jeff asked for a copy of the bi-laws. The Council discussed discernment for new members and the amount of members from each parish. In the past the Council maintained 11 members. With this new discernment process, we are expected to have a total of 7 members. The bi-laws discuss the ratio.
- Review of Lent/Holy Week/Easter schedule: Father Walsh reviewed the various opportunities our parishes can enjoy during lent. Further, Father noted that reservations will be needed for Psalm Sunday and Easter Sunday masses.
- Parish life, where do we go from here? We had a spirited conversation on continuing live streaming. We also discussed bringing everyone back when restrictions are lifted. The Council had various ideas and input on accomplishing these goals. Main ideas and concepts included invitations, education, and workability.
- Religious Education update: Kathy provided the Council with an update on the Religious Education Program and the administration of sacraments to the children.
- OLMC Feast planning: Father discussed the concept of rolling out the Feast in a “Take-Out” fashion. The Committee has met and plans are in action.
- Stewardship/Fundraising: Father Kevin provided the Council with an outline of all the concepts from the Stewardship Committee. To name a few: Retreats, Fundraising, joining together in our faith, and partnering with other established functions within the City. Father Kevin can provide a more comprehensive account of the work of the Committee if needed.
- Diocesan Annual Appeal update Father Walsh discussed the status of each parish along with the percentage of our goal attained. He encouraged the Council Members to share ideas to reach same.
- St. Rose Restoration Project update The campaign is near completion. Hoping to wrap up the fund raising portion by April 1st. Stairs should be completed shortly and the scaffolding should be erected in the near future.
- Community Meal update: Currently we are serving roughly 140 meals every Thursday. St. Francis delivers meals to the four high rises after they are assembled in St. Rose kitchen. Currently we are looking at a date to begin opening the doors for on-site meal service.
- FORMED: Father Jeff discussed introducing the concept into our parish; simply explained the content is similar to the NETFLIX of Catholic Material. The Salko Family contributed half of the cost, a benefactor contributed a portion and a $250 cost was split between the parishes. Father would like to launch the project on April 12th
Pastoral Council meeting Summary, May 18, 2021
Present: Co-Chair Michele M. Bannon,Co-Chair Bob Tomaine, Eileen Aguiar, Joseph Carachilo, Art Hanna, Rich Mroczka – Present Pam Bifano – Present Jacob Kutchmanich – Present Erin McGrady, Father Jeff Walsh, Father Kevin Miller, Deacon Pat Massino, Sister Jane Connolly, Sister Ann McLaughlin,t Kathy Yaklick
Excused: Becky Tolerico, Mark Ignatovich
Absent: Paul Clark, Thomas Didato
- Parish Council Membership Transition: 1. Welcome New Members: Pam Bifano, Jacob Kutchmanich, Erin McGrady, and Becky Tolerico. 2. Farewell/Thanks to Departing Members): Eileen Aguiar, Michele Bannon, Paul Clark, Tom Didato, Art Hanna, and Bob Tomaine
- Review and implementation of new state/diocesan COVID-19 policy/guidance: Father Walsh reviewed the information from the chancery relative to new protocols. A full outline of the plan can be found in the upcoming bulletin. Father requested information relative to how our parishioners are reacting. Art discussed some comments he received. Kathy discussed how the new protocols will affect religious education in the Fall.
- Update on St. Rose Restoration Project: Father indicated that the Engineer was able to gain access to the interior of the tower. A main beam is in dire need of repair. This will have an impact on the budget. Further, Father discussed a Special Meeting of the Finance Committee. The Committee made a recommendation to transfer $60 from savings to assist with the overages on the project. Father Jeff would like to acknowledge the financial fortitude of our St. Michael’s community.
- Update on OLMC Feast – Raffle / Golf Tournament / Chicken BBQ:
Father indicated that ticket sales are around 240 as of today; Joe C. indicated that he has 16 gifts, 16 holes sold and 10 teams registered for the Golf Tournament; the Chicken BBQ will be held at the Moxi Club with tickets selling fast. Father also noted that the Statue will be on display for the entire weekend.
- Update on Saint Rose Back on Track; Raffle: Father indicated we have $20,000 in profit as of this point. The project is going very well and everything is on course.
- Review of Seminarian Mike Boris’ Pastoral Year: The Pastoral Council discussed the blessing of Mike Boris for the past year. Father discussed how this year benefited Mike and the structure of his future.
- Report on Diocesan Blueprint Process: Father discussed the Bishop’s desire to revisit the inception of the process. The Pastoral Council initiated conversation at the onset of the pandemic. At that time the Council discussed assembling the members of our deanery and coordinating a meeting. Father would like to approach the issue organically. Further, Father will reflect further and report to the Council on his thoughts in the future. Father Kevin shared the member churches of our Deanery.
- Update on Religious Education – Events / Future Planning: Kathy discussed the status of the sacraments. We enjoyed the confirmation of 24 young adults at St. Rose of Lima by the Most Reverend Bishop Joseph Bambara. 22 children received their First Holy Communion and celebrated the May Crowing at St. Rose. Meeting for 2022 Confirmation Class will be conducted within the upcoming weeks. The confirmation students will need service hours. This has been a challenge over the past couple years. There is a concern for utilizing child volunteers without having certifications. Kathy further discussed the Covid 19 protocols for the upcoming school year. The CCD Program could use two additional smart TVs. The Council Members will reach out to their networks to secure same. Finally, Kathy discussed creating a study to track children from Baptism to school age. Children and families are falling through the cracks.
- Update on Community Meal: Sister Jane informed the Council that we are serving roughly 160 meals per week through the Community Meal program. The majority of the meals are being distributed to the four senior housing facilities with the partnership if St. Francis Kitchen and the Carbondale Housing Authority. The program will be expanding into Olyphant in the coming weeks as well.
- Summer 2021: Father discussed the need to have a meeting in June. The Council feels that it would be appropriate. Rich would like to know who is going to manage the logistical aspects of the meeting. Michele explained that Father or the Council choose a chair from St. Rose and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. The Chairs normally orchestrate the logistics.
- Farwell: Father Jeff thanked the outgoing Pastoral Council Members for their service. The outgoing members were thankful for the opportunity to serve.
- Next Meeting: The next regular meeting will be held on Tuesday, June 15, 2021
at Our Lady of Mount Carmel at 6:30 PM.
Respectfully Prepared By:
Michele M. Bannon, Co-Chair
Carbondale and Simpson Area
Pastoral Council Meeting Agenda
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:30 PM
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Center
In attendance: Fr. Walsh, Fr. Miller, Erin McGrady, Eileen Aquiar, Deacon Pat Massino, Kathy Yaklick, Sr. Ann McLaughlin, St. Jane Connolly, Pam Bifano, Kevin Earyes, Joe Carachilo, Becky Tolerico, Jacob Kutchmanich
Absent: Rich Mroczka
- Opening Prayer and Reflection Sr. Ann
- House Keeping we welcomed 5 new members to the council this evening.
Next Meeting Prayer (September) Eileen Aguiar
III New Business / Old Business 50 Minutes
terms of service discussion 3 year terms proposed
Election of Officers
Co-chairs format both parishes
St. Rose – Erin McGrady
OLMC – Becky Tolerico
we need one more parishioner from OLMC to complete membership Joe Carachilo will contact Tom Didato and work on this
Blueprint Process (ongoing discussion) – There are 3 parishes presently open for new pastor.
The process is looking at practical issues on keeping parishes going and will assist in diocesan pastoral planning. Within 9 years there will be about 48 available pastors. Today there are 90. This will mean a 50 percent reduction. At least 3 new parishes will be sharing one pastor this year. Bishop has to manage with what resources are available but will get input from the local level.
People need to be made aware of the numbers.
Publish deanery info. Parish statistics.
People need to see parish as more than buildings.
Would a town hall meeting be helpful? Not about closure but about the future of our parishes, deanery and diocese. Meeting will take place in the Fall. After September meeting.
Our Deanery consists of:
Christ the King - Archbald
OLMC SR – Carbondale
Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary-Jermyn
St. Katherine Drexyl -Pleasant Mount, Ascension – Forest City
Sacred Heart of Jesus - Peckville
St. John, St. Martin, St. Lawrence - 3 Churches Susquehanna County
Queen of Angels - Jessup
“Post-Pandemic” Planning – Liturgy Acolytes are returning. Still no plan for congregational music. Many things are still CDC dependent. Should we continue live streaming for shut ins after obligation to attend Mass is restored? Bishops meeting to address celebration of the eucharist. Mark Ruddy has been a tremendous volunteer in streaming our Masses. We will continue it for at least a period of time.
Topics for promoting the eucharist and evangelization were discussed. Discussion on getting people back to church and families to attend.
SR Restoration – work progressing. Significant repairs were needed inside the belfry. Probably will add two weeks to the project. Blue stone masonry is being repaired. Metal sheeting is being completed. Closer to $950,000 when completed. Had to dip into savings to fully fund the project. Including the entire façade.
OLMC Wall Project Updates – Should see work beginning in June with the stucco work. Contractor is at fault for the delay.
- Pastor Discussion
Religious Ed. calendar forthcoming soon for the coming year.
July collections by ushers will resume.
Property lines at feast grounds were brought into question. This will need to be addressed.
VII. Closing Prayer Father Kevin
NEXT MEETING: September 21, Our Lady of Mount Carmel